Nothing is better than a warm bowl of oatmeal on a cold winter morning! Kick it up a notch with kale chips and bacon! Add a touch of maple syrup to oats for the perfect sweet and savory bowl of goodness.
2 cups of organic quick oats (divided into ½ cup per bowl)
2 cups hot water (1/2 cup per bowl)
2 tsp. organic maple syrup (1/2 tsp. per bowl)
8 strips of bacon (Look for nitrite free, natural bacon – I love Applegate Farms brand or Trader Joes)
4 kale leaves, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
Pinch salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line baking sheet with foil then place wire rack onto baking pan.
3. Lay strips of bacon onto rack with baking pan underneath.
4. Bake bacon for 17-20 minutes until crisp.
5. Remove bacon from baking pan and set aside.
6. Wash kale leaves and tear into bite size pieces, shake off excess water.
7. Place kale onto baking sheet on top of rack, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spray with grapeseed oil.
8. Bake 7-8 minutes until crisp, careful not to burn kale.
9. To make oats: bring water to a boil in a kettle or in a pot on stovetop.
10. Pour ½ cup quick oats into each of 4 bowls. Stir ½ cup of hot water with each bowl of oats and ½ tsp maple syrup. Let sit 5 minutes then top with a handful of kale and 2 strips of chopped bacon.
Yield: 4 servings