Cooking meatballs with my Mom and her BFF Nancy who I have known since my childhood! Cooking with family is the best
These are hubby and baby approved too! I cut these into little bites and my one year old daughter loved them!
16 ounces pasta sauce (homemade or jarred, simmer on stovetop)
1# ground turkey – 94%lean (I use Plainville Farms, humanely raised)
1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 3 Tablespoons water (flax egg), set aside for 5 minutes until it gels (this is your binder) – or use 1 whole egg
1/4 cup brown rice bread crumbs (I use Holgrain Brown Rice Bread Crumbs) – or use regular breadcrumbs
1 medium carrot (or 3-4 baby carrots) finely shredded, about 1/3 cup
1 garlic clove, crushed (or 1/4 tsp each garlic and onion powder)
1/2 tsp. basil and oregano
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine ground flax with water to make your flax egg, then set aside for 5 minutes until it gels.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add ground turkey, flax mixture, brown rice bread crumbs, shredded carrot, crushed garlic, and spices.
- Use your hands to mix together all ingredients.
- Use a mini cookie scooper (1 Tablespoon in size) to scoop meatballs so they are all uniform size.
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper for easy cleanup and place rolled meatballs onto baking pan.
- Bake meatballs for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Once meatballs are cooked, removed from oven then place into simmering pasta sauce to coat.
- cook pasta of choice (regular or gluten free) then serve with meatballs.
Yield: 24 mini meatballs