National Women’s Week is May 13-19 and now is the time to begin prioritizing your health ladies! “It’s Your Time” is this year’s theme and women are encouraged to consider their health by eating better, exercising more, reducing stress, and getting checkups and preventative screenings so we can all feel great and be our best.
May 14 is the 10th annual National Women’s Checkup Day, click here to learn more about early detection, disease prevention, and other steps to better health. Take action today to begin improving your health so you can lead a healthy and productive life. Women spend so much time caring for others, but when we take the time to better our own health, we are better able to be there for the ones we love.
There are several local events this month, check out the one in your neighborhood:
- Boca Raton, May 30 Noon-1pm Women’s Works: Tools for a Healthier You
- Deerfield Beach, May 15 @11am Women’s Health Week Celebration with guest speaker Dr. Eugenio Menendez
- Fort Lauderdale, May 19 10-11am A Day for Women’s Health
- Fort Lauderdale, May 15 1-3pm CDTC 7th Annual Women’s Health Fair
- Fort Lauderdale, May 29 5:30-7:30pm Women’s Health Panel
Sign up for the free events and in the meantime, take steps to better health by eating better and exercising more. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet to get essential nutrients that women need, including Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, B12, Folate, and Vitamin E. Potassium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium are also key nutrients for women which help keep up energy levels, reduce stress, and lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Here are a few easy ways to add more produce to your diet:
- add potassium rich banana or berries to your morning cereal or yogurt
- stir fresh spinach or grated zucchini into your favorite pasta sauce
- use spaghetti squash instead of regular pasta noodles
- roast broccoli, cauliflower, and garlic to serve with grilled chicken or burgers
- enjoy crunchy carrots with hummus for a satisfying afternoon snack
- add sliced cucumber, tomato, and sprouts to sandwiches
- substitute lettuce or steamed collard green leaves for wraps made with flour
Are ready now and believe, “It’s Your Time”, but don’t know where to start? Working with a Health Coach who can customize an eating, exercise, and life plan can give you the support you need to succeed and hold you accountable so you will reach your goals.
Where do you struggle when it comes to prioritizing yourself?