Move over meaty and greasy meatloaf! There’s a new player in town Tickle your tastebuds with this Chickpea based “meatloaf”, it’s filling, nutritious and delicious! I do eat meat but it’s nice to make a hearty meal that doesn’t have any meat in it too. I love chickpeas and grew up eating hummus but there are more ways to use chickpeas than in hummus, this loaf proves just that!
2 cans chickpeas, reserve chickpea liquid (called aguafaba)
¼ cup chickpea liquid (aguafaba)
⅓ cup quick oats
1 small shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
⅓ cup carrot, cut into 1” pieces
⅓ cup celery, cut into 1” pieces
¼ cup organic ketchup
½ tsp each pink salt and ground cumin
Coconut oil spray to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Pulse in food process shallots, carrots, celery.
- Drained chickpeas, reserve liquid.
- Add chickpeas, liquid, and remaining ingredients into food processor.
- Pulse to combine but do not puree.
- Spray bread pan with coconut oil.
- Spread chickpea meatloaf evenly in baking pan.
- Bake at 375 35-40 minutes until edges brown. Will be soft in the middle.
- Slice and serve warm.
Yield: 6 slices