I’ve been making pumpkin bars for a few years now, the original recipe is loaded with gluten so my husband was the only one in the house enjoying them. I decided to get sneaky and go grain free on this revamped recipe and the results are amazing. My husband even likes them, they don’t taste fake or weird, they are awesome!
Try these out today – incredible and are relatively healthy too. Yay
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo and Fava Bean flour
1 T. pumpkin-pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 T. ground flaxseed mixed with 2 T. water, set aside for 5 minutes
1/2 cup organic coconut oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup sugar (organic cane sugar, sucanat, or turbinado)
1 large organic egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease 9 x 13 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda, salt.
4. In a small bowl, mix together ground flaxseed and water; set aside for 5 minutes to gel.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together whisked egg, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar until smooth.
6. Beat in flax with water until combined.
7. Mix in pumpkin puree.
8. Fold into dry ingredients until just combined.
9. Fold in chocolate chips.
10. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
11. Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 35 – 40 minutes.
12. Let cool completely in pan.
13. Cut into 12 or 16 squares.
These are great to individually wrap and throw in the freezer.
Do you have any recipes you made grain free or gluten free that taste awesome?
Please share in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you!