September is my birthday month and up until my birthday, I am planning out my birthday cake every year. The store bought cakes won’t do. I have food allergies and eat gluten free and dairy free so I have to create my own. This version includes bean flour to make it grain free plus organic cacao I picked up from Bedner’s local farm a few weeks ago – my new obsession and coconut oil, another favorite of mine for baking or just eating by the spoonful.
3/4 cup Turbinado sugar
1/4 cup organic cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons ground flax meal
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar (I like Bragg’s)
4 Tablespoons applesauce PLUS 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sift flour, sugar, cacao, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flax meal together into a medium size bowl.
3. Add in wet ingredients: vanilla, cider vinegar, applesauce, coconut oil, stir then add water last. Mix well to combine.
4. For mini cupcakes, put 1 Tablespoon batter into each mini cupcake tin. For regular size cupcakes, put 1/4 cup batter into each cupcake tin.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes (mini cupcakes) or 30 minutes (regular size cupcakes) or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
6. Cool completely, then frost with your favorite icing (see suggestion below).
Divine and chocolately, just the way a birthday cake should taste!
Cacao Love Frosting (vegan)
I love frosting, but the junk they sell at the store is less than appealing. Too many chemicals and an imminent belly ache for me.
Instead I created one with my favorite cacao and coconut oil!
1/4 cup Organic cacao powder
1/4 cup Organic coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoon raw honey, add more if you like it sweeter
Add ingredients to a small bowl and stir until well combined. Chill until ready to frost cupcakes.
What is you favorite kind of birthday cake? I grew up eating yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Now I go for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Yum!