Pumpkin seeds are incredibly delicious and a wonderful alternative to those who are sensitive to almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashews. Seeds are often tolerated by those who are allergic to nuts. You can buy pumpkin seeds at bulk bins in Whole Foods and other natural food stores. I often find mine at Publix Greenwise or Whole Foods. Some grocery stores carry them as well. If you love nut butters for their smooth, creamy, and spreadable textures, then you’ll love this nut free alternative. Click here to learn about the health benefits of pumpkin seeds.
Skip the coffee, have this nutrient rich and delicious plate of food instead. Pumpkin seed butter with carrots and celery for a yummy afternoon snack!
Start with 1.5 cups of raw pumpkin seeds. If you bought roasted seeds, skip steps for roasting.
Preheat oven to 375. Spread seeds onto baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Set your timer for 7 minutes and check to make sure seeds aren’t burning. Roast for additional 3 minutes if needed. Seeds will go from flat to round.
Let cool for about 10 minutes then put into your food processor.
Process on High for about a minute, until seeds are finely chopped.
Next, add 1.5 Tablespoons First Cold-Pressed Olive Oil and continue to process. Seeds will start to bead up. Stop processor and scrape down sides.
Pumpkin seed butter is beginning to form now. At this point, you are getting very close, keep on going!
Destination smooth! Now you’ve got your smooth and creamy pumpkin seed butter! The whole process in under 30 minutes.
Oh Yum! Remember to taste before giving to others
Save for snacks to bring to work, place in Pyrex containers for easy travel. Store in fridge.
Goes great with carrots, celery, apple and pear slices, millet toast, or a piece of dark chocolate!
Pumpkin Seed Butter Recipe
1.5 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1.5 Tablespoons first cold-pressed olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Measure out 1.5 cups pumpkin seeds and spread even layer onto cookie sheet.
3. Roast pumpkin seeds for 7-10 minutes. Check after 7 minutes, they may be done depending on how hot your oven runs.
4. Remove pumpkin seeds from oven, set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
5. Pour pumpkin seeds into food processor, 4-10 cup size.
6. Process pumpkin seeds on High for 1 minute, until finely chopped.
7. Add olive oil and process on High for 3 minutes, stopping every minute to scrape down sides of food processor.
8. Pumpkin seed butter will start to thicken and form chunks, keep going at this point!
9. Process in shorter intervals and keep going until pumpkin seed butter gets smooth, no chunks remaining.
10. Place into glass container, cover, and store in fridge.