Eating black-eyed peas is a part of American culture for welcoming good luck in the New Year. Here’s a classic recipe to ring in the New Year!
1 pound dried black-eyed peas
1 medium onion chopped
4 slices nitrite free bacon (suggested brand Maverick Ranch)
1 inch strip of kombu (optional)
sea salt, to taste, added at end of cooking
1. Pour black-eyed peas in pot of water to soak overnight. Water should be 1-2 inches above beans, since beans will expand while soaking.
2. Rinse beans after soaking (8-10 hours) and fill cooking pot with fresh water. Water line 1 inch above beans.
3. Chop onion and toss into pot.
4. Cut bacon into 1 inch strips and add to pot. Add strip of kombu (optional).
Note: Kombu is a sea veggie and adds beneficial minerals to this dish, such as Iodine, Potassium, Calcium, Vitamins A and C.
5. Bring beans to boil, then cover and simmer for 1-2 hours until beans are soft. Check beans and add water if needed.
6. Add sea salt to taste before serving. (Recommended 1/2 – 1 tsp. sea salt)
Wishing you the Happiest, Healthiest New Year possible!!