Sausage Bread is something that used to appear in our house around Christmas time each year. I have fond memories of running around and eating this bread. Throwing my first holiday party in our new home, I knew it would be extra special to serve up sausage bread of my own making to share with family and friends. This dish was certainly a hit, even the healthified version is irresistible!!
Cook your filling before rolling out the dough. I cooked up 1# of Publix Greenwise brand sun-dried tomato and herb chicken sausage. Removed from the casing and break up sausage with back of a wooden spoon. Add chopped baby sweet peppers when sausage is almost done cooking. Lastly, throw in some spinach and let wilt for a few minutes before removing from heat.
Now onto the dough! Start with store bought or make your own 1# whole wheat dough. Let it rise for about an hour before rolling it out. This is a lovely organic whole wheat dough from Publix Greenwise. You’ll want to add whole wheat pastry flour to your pan and dust over the dough as well.
Halfway through rolling out the dough, flour all over, this is about 5 minutes into the process.
Flattened out pretty good and ready for the filling!
Add 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella on top of dough, then add veggie and chicken sausage mixture, add another layer of mozzarella, about 3/4 cup.
Fold dough over once, then fold over again. Pinch seems and place seem-side down on baking pan.
Bake at 350 for about 30 min or until dough fully cooked.
Remove from heat and let cool before cutting. Serve at room temp. Serve pizza sauce for dipping, optional, most people eat without extra sauce.
Grab a plate and enjoy!!
1# chicken sausage
1/2 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped
2 cups spinach
1# whole wheat pizza dough, store bought or homemade
1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup pizza sauce for dipping, optional
1. Remove casing from sausage and cook on medium heat on stainless steel skillet. Break up sausage with back of a wooden spoon as it cooks.
2. Add chopped baby sweet peppers when sausage is almost done cooking. Lastly, throw in some spinach and let wilt for a few minutes before removing from heat.
3. Start with store bought or make your own 1# whole wheat dough. Let it rise for about an hour before rolling it out.
4. Add whole wheat pastry flour to your pan and dust over the dough as well.
5. Roll out dough to size of baking pan. This will take about 10 minutes.
6. Once dough is flattened out, add half of the cheese, layer on your filling, then add the remaining cheese.
7. Fold the dough over carefully once, then fold over again.
8. Press the seems to secure, then lay dough seem-side down to bake.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.
10. Allow sausage bread to cool before cutting, then slice up and serve with pizza sauce for dipping, optional.