I’m always looking to add greens to meals and adding spinach into pasta sauce is an easy way to bump up the nutritional profile of this dish.
You could be eating in 30 minutes or less. All you need are the 4 ingredients below. Baby spinach, pasta sauce, whole grain (wheat or gluten-free) rotini pasta, and ground turkey. I recommend Plainville Farms ground turkey since they are a certified humanely raised, antibiotic and hormone free company.
Start by browning 1/2 pound of the ground turkey. Freeze the other half or cook the next day.
When the turkey is browned, drained any excess fat from the sauce pan, then add your sauce and bring to a boil.
Once the sauce comes to a boil, turn down to a simmer and toss in about 3 cups of baby spinach.
Don’t worry, the spinach will wilt down beautifully!
Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Bring your pot of water to a boil, if you haven’t already done so.
Add half box of pasta or more, depending on how many eaters and if you want leftovers.
Stir sauce occasionally, spinach will continue to wilt into the sauce.
Once the pasta is done cooking, get ready to eat!
Sprinkle with grated parmesan, is desired.
Hearty Turkey Pasta Sauce with Spinach
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 – 16 oz jar pasta sauce
3 cups fresh spinach
1/2 box rotini pasta
1. Fill large pot of water and bring to boil for cooking pasta.
2. Meanwhile, brown turkey in medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat.
3. Drain any excess fat from cooked turkey, by pushing meat to one side and carefully soaking up fat with paper towels.
4. Add jar pasta sauce to sauce pan, bring to a boil, and then set to simmer.
5. Add fresh spinach to sauce, stir then cover, spinach will continue to wilt.
6. In pot of boiling water, add pasta and cook according to directions on box. Add a little olive oil to water to prevent pasta from sticking to pot.
7. Check simmering sauce and stir, spinach will be wilted down further.
8. Drain pasta when done.
9. Ladle sauce over pasta in a bowl, top with grated parmesan, if desired.